Friday, March 4, 2011

What kind of cyclist are you?

I'm in the middle of reading Bike Snob NYC's book, aptly entitled "Bike Snob". Last night I finished the chapter on different types of cyclists. I found all of his "tribes" of cyclists to not only be humorous, but frighteningly true.

I also found myself trying to classify where I fit into these tribes. After closely studying all the classifications, I finally settled on being labeled as a "Lone Wolf". I usually ride alone (but I do show up to charity rides), I don't fall into any kind of fashion or social stigma or stereotype, I get along with generally every other cycling classification, and I probably don't always use the right equipment for the job.

The line that actually had me laughing out loud was in regards to "Contraption Captains" (or recumbent riders). What had me laughing was what a conventional riders reaction is to seeing a recumbent. And I quote (I'm probably breaking some kind of copyright law here, but I am giving credit to Bike Snob for this so I should be okay), "Cyclists all notice one another, so when we see something that looks somewhat like a bicycle yet places the rider in an odd position with his feet kicking at the air as if he's defending himself from an attacking eagle, we become confused and disoriented." Please recumbent riders, I'm not laughing at you, just at some cyclists reactions to you (this is at you Big Cat, you know I love you brother).

At any rate, check out Bike Snob's book and see if you can classify yourself.

Terveydelles,

Craigers

No comments:

Post a Comment